Monday, June 2, 2014

Rome - Day 1

We have arrived! We got to Rome at 7:30am and didn't stop until 5:00 PM, needless to say, we we exhausted! The kids did an awesome job packing and traveling. They were excited once the first plane took off, Rye asked when the next flight would be as soon as we landed in Atlanta. By the time we got to Rome, they looked like pros. 


The hardest day of international travel is always the first day, clearing customs, finding the stay, finding food, and fighting jet lag. Once again, the kids handled it beautifully. We didn't do much today, we wanted an early night since Day 2 will be early and long. We went to the Colosseo and visited the Basilica of San Clemente where the kids got their first taste of the architecture here and the ornate style of churches. It was really cool for me to see them try to take it in. I think they were not aware how overwhelmed they were with what they were seeing, tomorrow they have even more ahead of them!

We'll try to have someone post daily when we have wifi available. I'm so glad to share this experience with such a great group of kids and am so proud of the new skills they have already acquired (using the metro system and navigating huge crowds of tourists). 

Remember we are 7 hours ahead of Texas time so as I type this it is 1AM and I am sitting online in one of my doctoral classes, I think I'll have a large caffe latte in the morning! For now, ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment